'From Classrooms to Career'-My Teaching Internship Reflections
As I pen down my experiences in the school internship program, I am taken back to the wonderful experiences and invaluable lessons that unfolded during the significant chapter of my educational journey. This internship helped me gain a deeper understanding of the dynamics within the educational ecosystem. From classroom interactions to the working of the school administrations, there were many highs and lows throughout the period.
The school internship was indeed a memorable and transformative experience. The school selected for internship was St Francis HS, Aluva. I did my school induction at the same institution so I was familiar with some of the students, teachers, other school faculties, etc. so this time I feel more comfortable interacting with them. The experience at the school provided valuable insight into the dynamic world of education. The teachers and other faculties of the school were very supportive and always stood with us. The classes assigned me to teach were class 9B and 9D and I taught Physics in class 9B and Chemistry in class 9D. I got the opportunity to teach both subjects. From the initial days onwards, I was able to build meaningful interactions with students. Students of both classes were interactive, open-minded, and highly dedicated even though some diverged from these.
We were a group of 15 student teachers, on arriving at the school, on the first day we were asked to arrange and tidy up the new science lab, which was kind of an exciting experience. They even entrusted us with preparing a student for the seminar upcoming seminar competition. All the science optional student teachers worked together in preparing the students. I had to take the students to the competition as well. The teachers were really supportive. Later during the science fest, we were entrusted to train students for the science fest. Our drama team made it to the district level. I really enjoyed working with them. The students were so dedicated and tried to do their best with the limited resources available to them. I felt so impressed by their work that I took some time to edit and prepare audio support for their drama. Later we again trained a bunch of students for the science exhibitions. Out of the many events I was assigned to train two students for the improvised aid competitions. We chose the topic of sound waves and made models out of marble charts and jumkas. We got an A grade for all the events that we participated. It wasn't easy at all but we all as there were days when we even had to stay back late in the evenings but we enjoyed the process.
As for the sessions I began by trying to understand the diversity of classrooms, learning styles, etc., and adapt various teaching methods to meet the individual differences of the classroom. This understanding became foundational in creating a positive and inclusive learning environment. At first, it was a little bit difficult to manage the students and to handle them. I had a great interest in hands-on experience and students are also excited to see all those activities and experiments. This also helps me to focus the attention of students throughout the class. Designing lesson plans that cater to students' varying abilities and interests was a central aspect of my internship. It helps me to take classes correctly and some more effectively. And help to have a clear idea regarding the concept to be taught. The feedback received from my mentor teacher during classes significantly contributed to my professional development. Working alongside experienced educators and collaborating with my mentor teacher provided a wealth of knowledge and support. The reflective practice became a powerful tool for continuous self-assessment and provided opportunities to refine my teaching techniques. The Internship also provided an opportunity to take physical education classes both aerobics and yoga for students.
Apart form subject sessions we had to take classes on Value education and sessions on awareness of India's cultural heritage and art forms which seemed to be really informative and interesting to me as I got to explore more into the diversity and richness of our culture.
Among the practicals, the one that I enjoyed the most was the club activities for students. Both the students and I enjoyed doing the experiments together with lasers, mirrors, and lenses. they were introduced to prisms and glass slabs and we even managed to do a few experiments. they were really excited when they saw the images on the wall using convex lenses and concave mirrors.
Achievement tests and diagnostic tests conducted in the classroom, during my internship have been a valuable journey that has deepened my understanding of assessment practices and student learning dynamics. The students got to assess themselves using the self-evaluation rubrics we prepared for them. It was a new experience for them too. There were many more practicals to be done in our syllabus apart from those sessions to be taken. we did peer evaluations which gave us more ideas to make our sessions better in one way or the other.
I am filled with a profound sense of growth and gratitude towards everyone who supported and guided me throughout the internship program especially Mrs. Irene Mathew, our mentor in charge for her relentless support and guidance. The challenges faced, the relationships forged, and the lessons learned have collectively shaped my perspective on education and my role as a future educator. This internship has been a crucible of learning, allowing me to witness firsthand the complexities and joys of teaching. As I step away from this experience, I carry with me not only a certificate of completion but a reservoir of memories, skills, and reflections that will undoubtedly guide my journey in the field of education.
For me the School Internship Program has been a bridge between theory and practice, and I am now better equipped to navigate the path ahead, armed with a deeper understanding of the classroom, the students, and the profound impact that effective teaching can have on young minds.


Comments
Post a Comment